Marine Corps Center for Learning and Faculty Development transforms into the service premier learning organization that develops world-class leaders capable of designing, developing, and facilitating active, student-centered adult learning across the learning continuum in order to transition service-level learning from the industrial age to information age and create the 2030 force required to fight and win against near-peer competitors.
CLFD Director (703) 784-5829
G7 (703) 784-5829
Det OIC / FSMC (910) 450-0224
Det Deputy OIC (910) 450-1268
Det SNCOIC (910) 450-0967
Student Services/ Ops (910) 450-0327
Det OIC (760) 725-3079
Student Services/ Ops (760) 763-5960
Train the Trainer School (T3S) has been in existence, in one version or another since 1944. This date is significant because great strides were being made in the realm of adult education, and the year coincides with the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act of 1944 – more commonly known as the GI Bill of Rights, as millions of veterans return from WWII. The need to incorporate adult education along with specialized facilitation training within the Marine Corps fostered the establishment of the Instructor Orientation Course on October 23, 1944 hosted out of Quantico, VA. Eventually a detachment formed in Camp Lejeune, and a second detachment formed at Expeditionary Warfare Training Group Pacific (EWTGPAC) in Coronado, CA – which eventually relocated to Camp Pendleton. In March 1978, based on the requirement for a more formalized structure and the demand signaled from formal schools within Training and Education Command (TECOM) for more standardized instructor skill sets incorporating an adult education paradigm, the Commandant established three formal Instructional Management Schools (IMSs) in the Marine Corps being located at Quantico, Camp Pendleton, and Camp Johnson. The IMSs were regional schools with the mission to train instructors, course designers and supervisors to effectively fulfill their duties within their formal schools. In 1991, after the drawdown following Desert Shield/Desert Storm, TECOM closed the Quantico location and diverted resources to bolster the Camp Pendleton and Camp Johnson locations to better integrate adult education philosophies and practices into training Marines. The two sites operated independently, providing training as each thought best. Course objectives focused on principles of instruction, public speaking, training aids and publications, etc. In December 2007, as the demand from the operating forces grew in support of the global mission requirements, IMS East and West were absorbed into T3S, consisting of two detachments and a headquarters element. The headquarters element was to provide oversight and reinforce standardization as the two detachments continued to provide support in order to bolster training and education within the Marine Corps.
Courses / Registration
CLFD SharePoint <--Restricted Access CAC Required