The mission of the Marine Detachment, Naval School of Music is to support the development of entry, intermediate, and career skill level training to Marine students and staff and to provide the operating forces with standards-based trained musicians fully prepared to support operations.
Specifically, the Marine Detachment, Naval School of Music:
- provides administrative and logistical support to student and permanent Marine personnel
- conducts entry level and 2000 level music skills training and MOS qualification for musicians
- conducts required annual PME for Marines assigned
- conducts physical fitness training for Marines assigned
- conducts career counseling, professional guidance, and mentorship for Marine student personnel
- acts as a service proponent for instructor development and instructional methodology
ABOUT THE NAVAL SCHOOL OF MUSIC:
Located on board the Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-FT Story in Virginia Beach, Virginia, the Naval School of Music provides specialized training for selected personnel of the Navy and Marine Corps. It is the first stop after basic training for instrumentalists and vocalists seeking to join the ranks of the United States Navy and Marine Corps bands. This unique facility, the largest of its kind in the world, provides basic to advanced levels of instruction geared toward preparing Sailors and Marines for the challenges of performance within a wide variety of military ensembles. Graduates of the Naval School of Music go on to become musical ambassadors throughout the United States and abroad as members of U.S. Navy and Marine Corps Bands.