Below is a summary of the gear candidates are required to bring to report to Officer Candidate School. Each incoming candidate should carefully read and abide by the Officer Candidates School Candidate Pre-Ship Preparation and Requirements Letter for his/her particular course. All clothing, baggage, and personal items must be marked prior to reporting to OCS.
All candidates will bring the following, regardless of prior service:
- 2 collared shirts (1 worn)
- 2 undershirt (1 worn)
- 2 pairs of slacks, pressed, with belt (1 worn)
- 1 pair of dress shoes (clean, worn)
- 5 pairs of underwear
- 5 sports bras (females)
- 2 pairs of serviceable running shoes, preferably purchased within 3 months. See 'Fitness Preparation: Shoes' page for details.
- 1 rugged, water resistant watch
- Cash or credit/debit for initial issues in the amount specified on the 60-day letter.
All PLC SR Candidates will bring their complete initial uniform issue they received during PLC JR.
** All non prior-service candidates will be issued and properly fitted for boots at Officer Candidates School. Candidates are also encouraged to purchase USMC regulation boots prior to arrival at OCS in order to begin a break-in period (they may also bring this pair of boots with them, but they will still be issued boots). Candidates are recommended to become accustomed to wearing boots prior to arrival.
- Enough basic overnight toiletries for a week, such as razors, shaving cream, soap, deodorant, etc
- 1 pair of eyeglasses as required. 2 are recommended. CONTACT LENSES ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR AT OCS AT ANY POINT IN TRAINING.
In addition to the above requirements, all prior enlisted active or reserve Marine candidates and those Marine reservist, MECEP and Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) candidates who will report to OCS within 90 days of his/her End of Active Service (EAS) will bring the following:
2 sets of Woodland MARPAT Combat Utilities
2 set of Desert MARPAT Combat Utilities
2 pairs of seasonal boots
1 Woodland Digital Cover
1 Desert Digital Cover
1 Woodland Digital Boonie Cover
1 Sea Bag
2 Web Belts
2 belt buckles
1 green USMC sweatshirt
1 green USMC sweatpants
2 pairs of green PT shorts
6 green t-shirts (no unit logos)
6 white drawers
6 pairs of boot socks
Upon arrival, two additional pairs of Woodland MARPAT Combat Utilities will be issued at no cost to candidates who are prior enlisted Marines still considered on active or reserve status, or IRR Marines less than 90 days past their EAS. Prior enlisted Marines will not receive a new issue of boots. These candidates will purchase (credit/debit card, cash, NAVMC 604 form) all items that are not brought in order to complete the total purchase.