The history of our Detachment begins in 1955, when Marine instructors and students were first assigned to the Counter Intelligence School, Fort Ritchie, Maryland, and the Army General School, Fort Riley, Kansas. The senior Marine assumed the duty of Liaison Officer. These schools were consolidated into the US Army Intelligence Center (USAIC), Fort Huachuca, in 1971, and the senior Marine's title was changed to Marine Corps Representative.
Seven years later, the various Marine Corps elements were consolidated under a unified command structure and the present Marine Corps Detachment was established. The Detachment moved to its present location in 1993 and assumed several new training missions, including Manual Morse Intercept Operator, and Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Maintainers/Operators.
Marine Second Lieutenants received instruction in the Military Intelligence Officer Basic Course (MIOBC) from 1994 through 1998. In 1999, the intelligence officer course relocated to the Navy and Marine Corps Intelligence Training Center in Dam Neck, Virginia. In 2001, the Detachment formally came under the command of Training Command, Quantico, Virginia. That same year, the UAV training was moved to Pensacola, Florida and in 2007, the Marine UAS (Unmanned Aircraft Systems) Training relocated back to Fort Huachuca, Arizona.
Today, the Detachment helps train an average of 400 Marines a year. Marines attend various courses on the Fort, but the majority consists of JSTARS Common Ground Station Operators, UAS Marines (Technicians, Mechanics, & Operators) and Human Intelligence/Counter-intelligence Marines as Strategic Debriefers and Advance Source Operators. Marines are also assigned to the Joint Interoperability Test Command (JITC), where they conduct process & product evaluations and technical assistance throughout the life cycle of DoD Systems.