Media is used in instruction to:
- Gain attention
- Recall prerequisites
- Present objectives to the students
- Present new content
- Support learning through examples and visual elaboration
- Elicit student response
- Provide Feedback
- Enhance retention and transfer
- Assess students' performance
Words that don't evoke a mental image don't carry a message and images that don't evoke a mental meaning or those that can't be discussed with words, have no communication value.
- Information is processed up to 400 times faster using images with words.
- Videos convey large amounts of complex information quickly and accurately and are faster for the mind to process.
- Graphics organize students’ thoughts and categorize important information quickly as they learn.
Thomas C. Reeves, Ph.D.
The University of Georgia