The Marine Corps Engineer School (MCES) delivers approved engineer focused programs of instruction at the entry and supervisory levels in order to prepare officer and enlisted engineers for duty with the Operating Force. Additionally, MCES serves as the service lead for Counter Improvised Explosive Device Defeat the Device (C-IED DtD) training. MCES serves as an expert in engineer education, training, doctrine and requirements development with the Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Leadership and Education, Personnel, and Facilities process in support of the Operating Force, Training and Education Command (TECOM), Training Command (TRNGCMD), Marine Air-Ground Task Force Training Center, the Engineer Advocate and Proponents at Headquarters Marine Corps (HQMC), Marine Corps Systems Command, Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory, Combat Development and Integration and other services and agencies.
In the early 1700s when the ships from England were scouting the coastline looking for likely places to settle, they were plagued by attacks from pirates. In desperation they searched for a place to moor the ships in safety. Soon a passage was discovered through the difficult New River inlet and a small bay found that allowed protection for several ships at a time. As more ships commuted, it was evident that records must be kept and protected. However, the ship's logs were becoming more of a burden to the ship's company. In 1731, a working party was organized among the settlers to go ashore and erect a cabin, later called the Courthouse, to store their important documents. This was accomplished, thus, the area surrounding the Courthouse became known as Courthouse Bay.
Today, Courthouse Bay is the home of Marine Corps Engineer School, 2d Assault Amphibian Battalion, 2d Combat Engineer Battalion, 2d Reconnaissance Battalion, 2d Marine Raider Battalion, and United States Coast Guard Special Missions Training Center.
The first Engineer School in the Marine Corps was activated at Quantico, Virginia, as part of the Training Center on 8 May 1941. A four-course curriculum consisted of Refrigeration, Water Distillation and Purification, Demolition, and Camouflaging.
In August 1942, the Engineer School moved to the newly organized Training Center, Fleet Marine Force, Marine Barracks, New River, North Carolina. The following courses were added to the original curriculum: Basic Surveying, Bridging, Drafting, Aerial Photographic Interpretation, Field Electrician, Map Reproduction and Photography (was retitled Photo-Lithography), Shop, Engineer Equipment, Water Supply, and Well Drilling. The Engineer School was detached from Marine Barracks, New River (redesignated Camp Lejeune) and reorganized into the Engineer Battalion, Training Center, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina on 31 December 1942.
The first officer’s course began on 5 October 1943. A Specialist Training Regiment was organized on 14 July 1944 which included the Engineer Battalion. The Engineer School Battalion continued to be part of the Regiment until July 1946.
On 31 July 1947, the Engineer School Battalion was disbanded. The school was once again activated on 1 January 1949 and designated Engineer School Company, Headquarters and Service Battalion, Marine Barracks, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. Between January 1949 and November 1950, Engineer School Company was redesignated Engineer School Battalion, and relocated to its present base of operations at Courthouse Bay, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.
A suitable name for the school was finally arrived at in April 1952, when the school was renamed The Marine Corps Engineer School, Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.
During November 1976, Marine Corps Engineer School began a complete reorganization. The Student Command was deactivated and personnel were distributed to provide appropriate manning levels for four separate companies - Headquarters and Service Company, Engineer Equipment Instruction Company, Utilities Instruction Company, and Combat Engineer Instruction Company. Reorganization was completed and full operation began on 3 January 1977.
In 1995 the Engineer Equipment Instruction Company was relocated to Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri as part of the Inter-service Training Review Organization.
Between 2004 and 2014 Marine Corps Engineer School underwent several changes to its organization. The end result increased the span of responsibility for the schoolhouse to include involvement in Engineer Training & Education, Doctrine, and Capability Requirements development. These additional responsibilities demand increased interaction with the Operating Force and close coordination with the Engineer Advocate at HQMC Installations & Logistics. Additionally, Marine Corps Engineer School has been assigned as the Marine Corps proponent for Counter-Improvised Explosive Device (C-IED) Defeat the Device training and has been providing this training to Marines since 2007.
The Marine Corps Engineer School started in 1941 by providing four courses and now MCES provides instruction in 21 different programs of instruction in both the basic combat engineer and utilities engineer skill sets training approximately 2,000 Marines each year. Additionally, as the USMC proponent for C-IED and Defeat the Device training MCES provides training to approximately 50,000 personnel annually in pre-deployment Counter-Improvised Explosive Device training in 6 different Counter-Improvised Explosive Device Programs of Instruction.
Marine Corps Engineer School
PSC Box 20069
Camp Lejeune, NC 28542-0069
Area OOD: (910) 440-7275
S-1: (910) 440-7222
S-3: (910) 440-7346
S-4: (910) 440-7890
S-6: (910) 440-7019
Assistant Security Manager: (910) 440-7153
Voting Officer: (910) 440-7222
Headquarters and Service Company: (910) 440-7364
Combat Engineer Instruction Company: (910) 440-7194
Utilities Instruction Company: (910) 440-7145
Caron Clinic: (910) 440-7388
Unit Readiness Coordinator (URC): (910) 440-7520
Suicide Prevention (800) 273-8255, Press 1
Webmaster: (910) 440-7340
-During working hours, permanent personnel and students will check-in with the Personnel Section located in BB-12. The phone number is (910) 440-7245.
-After working hours, permanent personnel and students will check-in with the Area Officer of the Day (AOOD) located in BB-28, the MCES headquarters building. The phone number is (910) 440-7275; cell (910) 478-6884.
-Permanent personnel checking-in, regardless of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) or Permanent Change of Assignment (PCA) orders, will wear the Service “A” uniform.
-Students (enlisted and officer) checking-in with Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders will wear the Service “A” uniform.
-Skills progression, Counter IED Basic Leader (CBL), and Counter Radio Controlled IED Electronic Warfare Officer (CREWO) students (enlisted and officer) checking-in with Temporary Additional Duties (TAD) orders will wear the uniform of the day.
-All students will report with original orders.
-Ensure students requiring a FITREP have received a TD FITREP. Students attending Urban Breacher, Engineer Operation Chief, Counter IED Basic Leader (CBL), or Counter Radio Controlled IED Electronic Warfare Officer (CREWO) courses are not required to have TD FITREPs.
-Entry level students are required to bring all issued uniforms for serviceability checks.
-During Marine Corps Ball time period, students must have a complete set of the dress blue uniform.
-CENCO (CID M03ACS2): (35) days prior to the class convening, the Class Advisor will send an e-mail with links to complete online portion. (30) days prior to the class convening, the online portion will open. Online portion must be complete prior to attending the in-person course.
-Government messing per MCES Policy Letter 2-21: "Enlisted entry level students are required to mess at the chow hall aboard Courthouse Bay, Camp Lejeune, BB-125. Career level students have government messing available to them however, are not directed to mess at the Courthouse Bay chow hall due to period of instruction changes, training schedule timelines, and distance to the chow hall. Furthermore, these students will not have their Basic Allowance for Subsistence checked."
-Government billeting is available and located at Courthouse Bay. Exception: Those students from the local area already approved for BAH and those students attending the CBL MTT course.
-Graduation uniforms will be determined by training Company Commanders.
*See company pages for course gear lists
MCES Request Mast Order
Prohibited Personnel Practices
Supervisor Response To Complaints
Memo For Annual OSC Notice
Your Rights When Reporting Wrongs
Whistleblower Retaliation Poster
Rights As a Federal Employee
On May 21, 2020 Marines and Sailors assigned to Marine Corps Engineer School used an annual training day to conduct a pistol range at Stone Bay....
February 2020: Permanent personnel and students assigned to Marine Corps Engineer School conduct PT prior to starting the training day.
On March 29, 2019 Marines from Utilities Instruction Company (UIC) took some time away from training Marines and participated in a Sergeant led...
Colonel Nash was commissioned in August 1998 following graduation from Michigan State University with a Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice. From 1999-2000, she served with Marine Wing Support Squadron 171, Iwakuni, Japan as the Engineer Division Officer-In-Charge.In July 2000, she was assigned to Seventh Engineer Support Battalion where she
Sergeant Major Morning graduated from Altoona Area High School in June 1995. He began Marine Corps Recruit Training on April 21, 1996 at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, SC with Company L, Third Recruit Training Battalion.In November 1996, Private First Class Morning reported to Headquarters & Service Company, 3d Marine Division where he