MCCES began as the Pigeon and Flag Handler Platoon in 1932. On October 5, 1942, it was activated as the Signal School under the Signal Battalion in Quantico, VA. In 1943 they moved to Camp Lejeune, NC; remained there until the end of WWII and eventually offered 15 courses in the communications field. In August 1946, the school was relocated to Camp Del Mar on Camp Pendleton, CA. In December 1949, Signal School was re-designated as Signal and Tracked Vehicle School Battalion. In 1950, coinciding with the Korean War, the school was moved to MCRD San Diego, CA and renamed to Signal School Battalion in September. During this time, the school added technician and repairmen training and in 1953, the school was re designated to Communication-Electronics School Battalion.
In 1963 the school began it’s move to Marine Corps Base, Twenty-nine Palms, CA with the move of C and E Companies. In February 1971 the school was re-designated to its current title of Marine Corps Communication-Electronics School. Also during this time an Officer Training course was developed for Air Defense Officer with the school training over 5000 Marines annually. In 1975, B Company relocated from Camp Pendleton, completing the move of the school and establishing the largest formal school in the Marine Corps. In 2002 the MOS re-designation of Data Systems Marines from the 40 occupational fields into the 06 occupational field was completed. In 2003 D Company merged into B Company then D Company was dissolved. In 2005 the average student population was 1,240. The School conducts 44 separate courses producing 37 MOS's. 303 classes are scheduled annually varying from 2 to 54 weeks in duration. This represents upwards of 25,000 academic days. MCCES graduates nearly 6,500 personnel annually. C&E our local/colloquial term) has played a vital role in the Corps' combat- readiness; recognized as such in the form of unit awards to include; American Campaign Streamer, World War II Victory Streamer, National Defense Service Streamer w/3 Bronze Stars, Meritorious Unit Commendation w/3 Bronze Stars, Global War on Terrorism Service Streamer. MCCES currently consist of a Headquarters Company and 3 training companies/schools which are: Company A/CEMS (Communication-Electronics Maintenance School, Company B/TCTS (Tactical Communications Training School), Company C/Air School). 2006 The on board average student population was 1042. The School conducted 56 separate courses producing 35 MOS's. 51 of these courses were conducted at the Formal Learning Center (FLC) and 5 by Mobile Training Teams. 2011 In August the Commanding Officer of MCCES officially became the reporting senior for; CO, Communication School, MCB, Quantico, Virginia; CO, Marine Detachment Fort Gordon, Georgia; CO, Low Altitude Air Defense School, Fort Bliss, Texas and Marine Corps Representative, Sheppard AFB, Texas. MCCES continues to carry out its primary mission to train personnel in the fields of operational communications, communications-electronics maintenance, and air control/anti-air warfare operations. On 5 April 2013 Air Control Training Squadron(ACTS) was activated under MCCES. The former Charlie Company has been re-designated as Detachment Bravo and the former Alpha Company has been designated as Detachment Alpha under the Air Control Training Squadron which is reportable to the Commanding Officer, MCCES. During 2014 Communication School moved from Quantico, Virginia to Twenty-nine Palms. In accordance with MCBul 5400 18 Dec14 Marine Corps Communication Electronics School was reorganized into a Command Element, Headquarters Company, an Air Control Training Squadron and a Communication Training Battalion,